It has been said that turmeric is the most powerful herb in the world!
Turmeric is not only one of the most colorful herbs on this plant, it just may be one the best when it comes to disease fighting herbs.
This incredible herb comes from a plant that grows in India and Southeast Asia. It contains an active compound called curcumin. Curcumin is a disease fighting, anti-inflammatory, potent antioxidant, that has strong preventive health benefits. It is important to know, curcumin is not absorbed well into the bloodstream, by adding black pepper to turmeric it will aid in the absorption of curcumin into the bloodstream so it can get to work!
The benefits of turmeric have been well researched AND will blow you away!
Benefits of turmeric:
- Strong natural anti-inflammatory– This is key since inflammation is the root of most diseases.
- Strengthens the immune system
- Prevent cancers
- Protects against free-radicals– Turmeric can protect our cells due to its strong antioxidants properties, this helps keep the skin looking youthful and clear.
- Helps heal the gut
- Protects the heart– Research shows inflammation plays a large role in cardiovascular disease.
- Increases mood and cognitive function– A study, conducted by Phytotherapy Research, shows the impact curcumin has on depression. The results were incredible; curcumin was shown just as effective at treating depression as the medication Prozac.
- Detoxifies– Turmeric helps cleanse the liver of toxins. Toxins are everywhere these days; in the air we breath, in the food we eat, in products we put on our bodies, and in cleaning solutions we use everyday.
- Arthritis/Joint Pain/ Muscle recovery– All of which are caused by inflammation and can be relieved by turmeric’s aggressive anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fights obesity– Turmeric has been shown to reduce the growth of fat cells, check out this study.
- Help manage diabetes
- Alleviates pain
That is just to name a few! The benefits of turmeric are backed by a ton of research, making it one of the safest most effective “functional foods” known to man.
There are many ways to incorporate turmeric into your diet. It can be added to salad dressing, smoothies, soups……but my favorite way to get turmeric into my daily routine is in a hot latte!
Here is a recipe for an Ultimate Turmeric Latte:
- fresh turmeric 3cm piece, peeled (or 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder)
- fresh ginger 2cm piece, peeled (or ¼ – ½ teaspoon ground ginger)
- black pepper pinch of
- honey 1 teaspoon
- coconut oil 1 tablespoon
- almond or coconut milk 1 ½ cups
- ground cinnamon ½ – ¾ teaspoon
- vanilla essence or extract 1 teaspoon
- salt good pinch of
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and frothy.
- Warm up in a small pot on the oven and then pour into mugs. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Enjoy!
Want help finding more powerful foods to incorporate into your life? Let’s chat, sign up for a free 1 on 1 session with me. Can’t wait to get started !
To your health <3